Talking Pros
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stawell 2025
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 3:59 pm by Woodchopper

» Stawell Results
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 3:57 pm by Thatsthestats

» VALE Keith Douglas
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 4:44 pm by Todd Ireland

» 2024 Mens Stawell Gift
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 pm by Foxcatcher

» Stawell Betting
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:50 pm by Z Score

» 2024 Ringwood Womens 400m Gift
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 8:30 pm by Deflash

» Should have gone to Specsavers
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 pm by Z Score

» Tips in other distances
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm by Passionate Pete

» 2024 Stawell Womens Gift
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptyThu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm by SlowJoe

» Stawell provisional handicaps
FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 12:48 pm by Kicker

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD

+8
Z Score
Runforit
Sweeney
StevieBee
Soon to retire
donatello
George Dubya
timrosen35
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD Empty FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:34 pm

From Team App on 22/11/2021:
The Bay Sheffield received some excellent publicity in the Sunday Mail yesterday, with two stories in both the sport and front-page sections. One of the stories mentioned that the League is looking at making ACH Group Stadium the permanent home of the Bay Sheffield. While this is an option which we believe we should consider, it is important to note that no decision or commitment has been made on this matter. The use of ACH Group Stadium for our major event last year and this year due to COVID Restrictions has given the League a chance to examine what we really want the event to look like going forward. There are positives for both venues:
The positives of Colley Reserve:
-1 Known as the traditional home of the event
-2 The unique atmosphere it provides
-3 The chance for a “walk-by” crowd to witness a major sporting event
The positives of ACH Group Stadium (Glenelg Oval):
-1 Superior surface to run on
-2 Superior spectator facilities
-3 Good car parking options
-4 Superior changeroom facilities for athletes
-5 Existing area for VIP catering
-6 Easier for set up and security (no need to dismantle between days)
-7 Ability to work with the Glenelg Football Club and Glenelg Cricket Club
-8 Lighting available if there is a need to run at night
-9 Financially much better for the League and the event (reduced set up costs, the ability to charge a modest entry fee)

Now Mr Rowston seems to think that there are only 3 good reasons to keep the Bay Sheffield at Colley Reserve. I think collectively we can show him many more good reasons than to keep it at Colley Reserve.
I have number each of the reason he outlined so you can also perhaps dismiss some of the so called "good" reasons to have it at Glenelg Oval.

I'll start off:
For Colley:
1) Historical, 2) atmosphere, 3) walk by crowd, 4) more spectators, 5) better for sponsors, 6) preferred location by members, 7) preferred location by interstate members, Cool good parking options 2 under ground carparks and nearby carparks, 9) its free to watch 10) near hotels and restaurants
Against Glenelg Oval:
1) No atmosphere, 2) no history, 3) less spectators, 4) fewer competitors, 5) fewer interstate competitors, 6) no walk by crowd, 7) its just another suburban meet, Cool charging people to enter, 9) fewer carparks!, 10) not near any of Glenelgs foreshore and Jetty Road precinct, 11) food catering vans had terrible food, 12) SAAL sponsors lost in amongst Glenelg Ovals Sponsors, 13) loss of potential new athletes from walk by crowd, 14) point 7 of Colin's, I'm not sure how working with Glenelg FC and Cricket Club is of importance or relevance? 15) financial reward should not outweigh historical importance.

Essentially this is 25 reasons to return to Colley Reserve, compared to Colin's 3!

Now I'm sure I have missed some other good reasons to keep it at Colley Reserve, but nowhere near as many as what your President Mr Rowston has missed. In my opinion it shows how inept this lot are at seeing the problems they have created.

So I hand to you all, show Colin how wrong he is.

Back to top Go down

FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD Empty Re: FUTURE OF THE BAY SHEFFIELD

Post by SA Whisperer Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Definately , one of the main attractions is the atmoshpere which you dont get at a normal footy oval , because Colley Reserve is a coluseum.
If the saal were smart , they would have taken the dimensions of the running track at Colley and used them at the Glenelg oval.The athletes love the tight corners and long straights.Cant understand why they didnt do that.
Its what makes the Bay Sheff Carnival unique.
Sherlock will be all over this now Laughing

SA Whisperer

Back to top Go down

Post by timrosen35 Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 pm

It would be a horrible mistake to take the Bay Sheffield away from Colley permanently.

With the way the league is handicapping and stewarding, I would be unlikely to head over with a group of athletes to compete. In fact I wouldn’t. EXCEPT to experience the bay at Colley that I’ve never had a chance to. I have heard so many stories about how amazing it was. So no matter what system was in place, it’s something I would still come over and experience. There is 0 chance I would ever bring anyone to run in the Bay Sheffield if it was at the “new venue”. And many I have spoken to are of a similar opinion in Victoria.

I honestly can’t believe it is even a decision. It would be like taking Stawell elsewhere. Yuck.

timrosen35

Downesy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Dubya Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:52 pm

stupid decision if it doesnt go back to colley reserve

George Dubya

Back to top Go down

Post by donatello Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Can we get a poll going? Hear from the athletes/trainers on here maybe?
donatello
donatello

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Score Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:43 pm

All seems a bit odd, announcing the ambassador of the Bay Sheffield as Cossie, who is a SA icon
then you take the traditional race away from its traditional staging area.
Obviously Cossie dont know much about the Bay Sheffield.

Z Score

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Score Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:46 pm

donatello wrote:Can we get a poll going? Hear from the athletes/trainers on here maybe?

They held a survey/poll regarding the handicapping and there were 58%, didnt want the change, didnt make one once of a difference
Maybe two polls , one for where the Bay Sheffield should be held and one for returning to traditional handicapping or not.

Z Score

Socks off Sanchez likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by donatello Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:59 pm

Z Score wrote:
donatello wrote:Can we get a poll going? Hear from the athletes/trainers on here maybe?[/quote,
They held a survey/poll regarding the handicapping and there were 58%, didnt want the change, didnt make one once of a difference
Maybe two polls , one for where the Bay Sheffield should be held and one for returning to traditional handicapping or not.

I'd be surprised if anyone would not want the Bay to be at Colley. Sad day Sad
donatello
donatello

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Score Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:47 am

I think we are all missing something here.
The president has been in office for two years and for two years the Bay Sheffield has been held at Glenelg oval.
Time for a change one would think

Z Score

Back to top Go down

Post by Soon to retire Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:52 am

Let's hope it returns to colley. And the surface is fixed, as the pot holes caused major injuries to some of our best upcoming athletes Harrison Hunt and Maddie Coates.

Soon to retire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:38 pm

Soon to retire wrote:Let's hope it returns to colley.  And the surface is fixed, as the pot holes caused major injuries to some of our best upcoming athletes Harrison Hunt and Maddie Coates.

Yes the surface wasnt great when last held there. This is were point 7 made by Colin is a little odd. "The ability to work with Glenelg FC and Cricket club". How about the ability to work with the council to ensure the surface at Colley Reserve is in premium condition, after all it surely is in the best interest of the council and its precinct, businesses and tourism to be at Colley.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:49 am

What a joke it is to be charging an entry fee of $7.50 on day 1 and $10 on day 2 for the Bay Sheffield. Clearly their bottom line has issues to be charging so much on what it originally appeared to be initially at $4.

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Whisperer Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:44 am

Top Sport wrote:What a joke it is to be charging an entry fee of $7.50 on day 1 and $10 on day 2 for the Bay Sheffield. Clearly their bottom line has issues to be charging so much on what it originally appeared to be initially at $4.

third of what is costs to enter the Stawell Gift Carnival, half of what is costs to enter a SANFL Grand Final and less than what it costs to enter an amateur football Grand Final.

Im not quite sure what Colin is getting at here,hes comparing prices of sports happening in winter .
I can go to Mile end athletics for free, I can go to the tour down under for free and I can go to the christmas pageant for free.
Christmas time is a very difficult period on my budget, I have no money , I max out the credit card, I like to do family outings that are free because at Christmas I am as good as broke, a great day at the Bay sheffield with extended family member has now been taken away.
Sure Stawell charge and so does the footy but they are at different times of the year and not when theres a strain on the budget.To come out two weeks before the Bay sheff and tell families there is a cost is unfair they have not budgeted for it.
Its not only unjustified but getting very close to being down right cruel.
I wont be going this year or neither any of my family members.

SA Whisperer

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieBee Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:23 pm

So if I take my wife and her mum just to watch it's going to cost me nearly 60$ to watch average, and I mean that in the nicest way athletes.

No thanks.

StevieBee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:34 pm

Seriously do they think they can compare a now compromised event held in a non tourist location to have people find their way from a tourist precinct 1.7kms to Glenelg Oval only to have to pay $10, to compare it to Stawell or to SANFL etc, they are dreaming!
The Bay was what it was because it was in the tourist precinct and it was free and it was the arguable the height of sprint and middle distance athletics, not only with great number of athletes but a great number of quality athletes (no disrespect).
It should be free and should be back at Colley, simple!

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Score Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:56 pm

I had a great day down at Mile End FREE except for the Farmers Union Ice Coffee I bought Laughing Laughing a couple of weeks ago , watched the Olympians do battle in the 5k State Champs and a full range of other events for FREE.
If you are going to compare Stawell , Im pretty sure tickets were pre booked last season to know the exact numbers turning up and to limit the handling of cash at the gate..........Once again saal no regard in to safety compared to Stawell.

Z Score

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:01 pm

What was a little interesting to see at this free event Razz at Mile End today was the no shows, not so much with athletes but a coach or 2!! It will be interesting to see if they show up to interclub 6 next year??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweeney Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:09 pm

It's a real shame to hear what is happening over in SA, unfortunately I won't be attending the Bay this year. Needs to be moved back to Colley, the home of the Bay Sheffield.

Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Post by Runforit Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:13 pm

I’m sorry, but I’m an interstater who has competed 12 times at the Bay Sheffield including once when it was at at Adelaide oval. Yes athlete facilities were better, track was better but soulless and no atmosphere. I and I expect 90% of interstaters have no issue with lack of athlete facilities at the bay, as from what I can tell we all stay walking distance to Colley reserve (reckon I have stayed in 5 different places)- so the lack of athlete facilities would probably hurt the local runners more. Spectators- again the rusted on supporters and interstate entourages are fine- rest of the crowd are walk ups who come and go. Financially- given the economic impact we bring, surely you can negotiate a sponsorship from council or local business association that more than equals Glenelg FC + take better care of track. I fully appreciate track set up being annoying but this is a once a year historical event- that is a laughable strategic reason to select footy club. It is my favourite meet bar none, I haven’t returned since handicapping became a farce and even if that gets fixed I have zero interest competing anywhere other than Colley Reserve. Your number 1 job on the board is to be custodians of the sport and leave it in a better position…respectfully I don’t think you are doing this.

Runforit

donatello likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Whisperer Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:09 am

Spot on Runforit.
For you interstaters , you fly into Adelaide, catch a taxi to the Colley area and from then until you take a taxi to the airport to fly out you walk everywhere.
The beach is nearby for rehab.
Lovely sand beach to walk or jog along.
Ample amount of eateries to choose from except just the Glenelg football club
Able to go back to your room during heats , semi and finals if its hot.Able to have a massage in private.
The excitement of running at Colley.
Can bring the whole family at no cost to watch as spectators now theres a charge at Glenelg.
The list goes on and on
Its a no brainer.
Two years of this President and two years of the Bay oval.
He needs to own up and go or he needs to be voted out.
Time for you T.S. to put your name up and bring the Sheff back to where it belongs

SA Whisperer

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Score Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:45 pm

Top Sport wrote:What was a little interesting to see at this free event Razz at Mile End today was the no shows, not so much with athletes but a coach or 2!! It will be interesting to see if they show up to interclub 6 next year??
Yes t.S.
Quite interesting that a few coaches were missing from Mile end on the weekend, especially a couple of coaches who like to be front and centre.
I know people were talking down at Mile End about it and throwing out reasons why they werent there.
Got me thinking as well.

Z Score

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Score Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:52 pm

BAY SHEFFIELD BREAKFAST
Bookings are now open for the Bay Sheffield breakfast, to be held on December 28 at 8.30am in the Glenelg Football Club bistro. Two new inductees for the Bay Sheffield Hall Of Fame will be announced and SAAL Patron Bruce McAvaney will be interviewed.

I think the League has a duty of care towards our leagues patron.Its common public knowledge that Bruce is battling a health issue and I think the League has a responsability to provide a safe enviroment for him to be interviewed.
If not demanding double jabbed then zoom interview.
Duty of care or dont care. The League has the call to make.

Z Score

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:27 pm

Top Sport wrote:From Team App on 22/11/2021:
The Bay Sheffield received some excellent publicity in the Sunday Mail yesterday, with two stories in both the sport and front-page sections. One of the stories mentioned that the League is looking at making ACH Group Stadium the permanent home of the Bay Sheffield. While this is an option which we believe we should consider, it is important to note that no decision or commitment has been made on this matter. The use of ACH Group Stadium for our major event last year and this year due to COVID Restrictions has given the League a chance to examine what we really want the event to look like going forward. There are positives for both venues:
The positives of Colley Reserve:
-1 Known as the traditional home of the event
-2 The unique atmosphere it provides
-3 The chance for a “walk-by” crowd to witness a major sporting event
The positives of ACH Group Stadium (Glenelg Oval):
-1 Superior surface to run on
-2 Superior spectator facilities
-3 Good car parking options
-4 Superior changeroom facilities for athletes
-5 Existing area for VIP catering
-6 Easier for set up and security (no need to dismantle between days)
-7 Ability to work with the Glenelg Football Club and Glenelg Cricket Club
-8 Lighting available if there is a need to run at night
-9 Financially much better for the League and the event (reduced set up costs, the ability to charge a modest entry fee)

1) Historical, 2) atmosphere, 3) walk by crowd, 4) more spectators, 5) better for sponsors, 6) preferred location by members, 7) preferred location by interstate members, Cool good parking options 2 under ground carparks and nearby carparks, 9) its free to watch 10) near hotels and restaurants
Against Glenelg Oval:
1) No atmosphere, 2) no history, 3) less spectators, 4) fewer competitors, 5) fewer interstate competitors, 6) no walk by crowd, 7) its just another suburban meet, Cool charging people to enter, 9) fewer carparks!, 10) not near any of Glenelgs foreshore and Jetty Road precinct, 11) food catering vans had terrible food, 12) SAAL sponsors lost in amongst Glenelg Ovals Sponsors, 13) loss of potential new athletes from walk by crowd, 14) point 7 of Colin's, I'm not sure how working with Glenelg FC and Cricket Club is of importance or relevance? 15) financial reward should not outweigh historical importance.

Essentially this is 25 reasons to return to Colley Reserve, compared to Colin's 3!

Well I raised this back in November. So what has changed? Well Mr Micro Manage Everything Rowston has come up with another 4 "reasons" to destroy the Bay Sheffield by having it held at Glenelg Oval. In 5 months he can only think of 3 more reasons to hold it at its traditional, historical significant location on Colley Reserve. Did he not read my 15 reasons (essentially 25) why it must return to Colley Reserve where it rightly belongs or does he simply not care?

Dont let Mr I take the minutes at meetings control freak Rowston get away with this at the Bay Sheffield discussion session come Sunday. I suspect he has no interest in my or your opinions, he will do what he wants irrespective, he will attempt to manipulate the room to his way of thinking. Make sure fire your opinions to return to Colley Reserve at Mr hide the financials from the Executive Officer Rowston! Also make sure you vote Mr I do what I want Rowston out at the next AGM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Score Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:33 pm

Dont fall for Mr Hide everything from the EO games, he knows theres only one way to woo the athletes back to the saal and that is to return to Colley.
Wont it look really good for him if he comes out and goes against all the advantages at Glenelg oval to return to Colley, thats why hes flooded the Glenelg Oval option to make a dumb person look smart.

Z Score

Back to top Go down

Post by SA Whisperer Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:33 pm

Z Score wrote:Dont fall for Mr Hide everything from the EO games, he knows theres only one way to woo the athletes back to the saal and that is to return to Colley.
Wont it look really good for him if he comes out and goes against all the advantages at Glenelg oval to return to Colley, thats why hes flooded the Glenelg Oval option to make a dumb person look smart.

Ive listened to the people , Ive listened to what they want.We are heading back to the Bay

SA Whisperer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next