Talking Pros
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stawell 2025
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 3:59 pm by Woodchopper

» Stawell Results
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 3:57 pm by Thatsthestats

» VALE Keith Douglas
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 4:44 pm by Todd Ireland

» 2024 Mens Stawell Gift
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 pm by Foxcatcher

» Stawell Betting
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:50 pm by Z Score

» 2024 Ringwood Womens 400m Gift
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 8:30 pm by Deflash

» Should have gone to Specsavers
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 pm by Z Score

» Tips in other distances
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm by Passionate Pete

» 2024 Stawell Womens Gift
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptyThu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm by SlowJoe

» Stawell provisional handicaps
Stawell Gift 2024 News EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 12:48 pm by Kicker

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Stawell Gift 2024 News

Go down

Stawell Gift 2024 News Empty Stawell Gift 2024 News

Post by Admin Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:05 pm

Just been catching up to date with all the Stawell Gift news. There's plenty of it as well, especially keen to see the athletes village they've got planned. Catch up with all the news below.

Admin
Admin

https://talkingpros.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Stawell Gift 2024 News Empty Re: Stawell Gift 2024 News

Post by Admin Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:05 pm

https://www.stawellgift.com/2024/01/whats-in-store-for-24-interview-with-cr-murray-emerson/

WHAT’S IN STORE FOR ‘24 – INTERVIEW WITH CR MURRAY EMERSON

Date: 15th January 2024

As the pro running season reaches its mid-way point, we asked Councillor Murray Emerson, Chair of Stawell Gift Event Management what visitors can expect at Australia’s pre-eminent pro race this Easter and just why all roads lead to Stawell.

“The Powercor Stawell Gift is the most prestigious professional race on the running calendar each year and the desire of the competitors to run and win here is enormous,” said Murray.

“Being one of the last meets for the Australian athletics season and with such an incredible history, it is everyone’s goal to have their names etched in the tradition of the Stawell Gift. Of course, the race being one of the richest professional foot races in the world is also a huge attraction.”

Stawell Gift Event Management puts on the Easter carnival in conjunction with the Stawell Athletic Club and this will be the 142nd running of the famous race series.

“Our goal is to put on a terrific show, provide spectacular races in a safe environment and enjoyable atmosphere for everyone that attends. We want people to have a great time both at the track and in our wonderful local shire, said Murray.

“This year we are promoting the Fashions day on Saturday and asking people to come in vibrant colours particularly reds and blacks, two of our handicapping colours.

“A new innovation is the Athletes Village on the hill on the western side of the arena. There will be marquees for the runners and their teams featuring a wellness centre with ice baths, massages and areas in our new building for relaxation. The Corporate area will go to a new level this year as we increase the experience for those who are attending.

The economic benefits to the Northern Grampians Shire cannot be underestimated as visitors flock to Stawell and surrounding towns at Easter.

“The population increases not only during the Powercor Stawell Gift weekend but that also carries forward to when people return to our region to visit and enjoy our wonderful area.

“As always there are numerous other attractions in our region. The Great Western Rodeo on Good Friday, the Stawell Race Club meeting on Sunday, Stawell’s Main Street Extravaganza on Saturday morning and the Fun Run on Sunday. Not to mention fabulous food, wine and numerous nature and activity walks in the spectacular Grampians mountains.

“Something for everyone. Come and enjoy. I am sure you will want to return.”

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:06 pm

https://www.stawellgift.com/2024/01/title-holders-commit-to-defend-victory-at-stawell/

TITLE HOLDERS COMMIT TO DEFEND VICTORY AT STAWELL

Date: 15th January 2024

Powercor Stawell Gift champions Ryan Tarrant and Bella Pasquali will return to Central Park this Easter to defend their titles for 2024.

After a busy year post-victory, the teen sprinters are looking forward to the additional challenges that come with returning as defending champions.

Reflecting on his win as a first-time competitor at Stawell, Ryan recalled his triumph as “genuinely unbelievable.”

“I thought it was going to be daunting and intense, but after stepping on to the luscious track at Central Park, I felt nothing but excitement. It most definitely did live up to the expectation of being the greatest footrace in the country.

“It would be extraordinary to win back-to-back, but the greatest part of a returning winner is the feeling of running on the track at Central Park, what a special opportunity that is.

“I’m looking to forward to soaking up the environment which I was able to share with many other athletes on that day, just running was great fun.”

The win has tempted Ryan to compete in more professional races alongside his ongoing commitment to amateur athletics.

“I have dabbled a bit more in the pro running scene whilst still running in the amateurs. I have run the Essendon Gift (200m) off a mark of one metre and was happy to make it to the semis. I might run the Beachside Gift if time permits, but for now the next race coming up is the Canberra Champs over the Australia Day weekend.”

Bella’s recollection of winning the Strickland Family Women’s Gift took a bit more thought.

“Some bits I remember so clearly, and others are such as blur. I can’t remember much of the race though. However, the second afterwards when Layla Watson (who was also in the race) ran over to me and threw her arms around me, that was one of my best memories,” she recounted.

The win was special to Bella whose family has been involved in pro running for generations.

“I grew up in a household where Stawell was the pinnacle of pro running. Mum did both amateur running and pros but by the time I came along, both parents concentrated on pro running, so I was around the Gifts my whole life watching my parents as well as everyone else. Winning the Stawell Gift was talked about a lot.”

Bella acknowledges the impact the win has had on her running career.

“It’s certainly put my name out there a bit more now. Sometimes people stop to chat to me and say they were watching and cheering for me, some of them I’ve never even met before which is really cool.”

Bella is recovering from a hamstring injury so has only competed at the Waverley Gift in mid-December and at the Rye Gift over the weekend.

“I’ve just run at Rye and ran at Waverley last year and really loved that. It’s certainly hard off the new handicaps! I’ll start up running some amateur meets in February in preparation for the Victorian Champs and Nationals, while continuing to run in a few pro meets.

“Not 100% sure how the season is looking yet, but I’ll get down to as many Gifts as I can around the amateur meets, but yes, I’m definitely coming to Stawell. Haven’t missed one since I was born!

Bella’s mum Anna Pasquali recalled her daughter’s win in the highly prized SYPAQ Lorraine Donnan Women’s Handicap 400m two years ago which she herself achieved five years earlier.

“I remember when she won that race back in 2022 and I thought that was as good as it gets. For both of us to win the same race five years apart, I didn’t think it could get any more special.

“I watched Bella’s Gift win about a thousand times in the month of April still in disbelief. I always talk about how many things must go right in the buildup as well as on the day to win any race at Stawell and she was lucky enough to have it all go right for her.

“Her coach Jason was instrumental in her preparation, transitioning her from a 400m runner down to the shorter stuff, working on her starts as well as her mental preparation.
Anna believes, while Bella is going from strength to strength in track athletics her heart might belong in pro running.

“As cliche as it sounds, I just want her to keep enjoying her athletics and she’ll decide how far to take it. I know her heart is in pro running and amateur racing doesn’t have the same appeal for Bella, so it’s up to her which direction she heads.”

Recalling Bella’s first Stawell Gift as a six-month-old baby, Anna is full of stories and memories of the yearly pilgrimage which means so much to so many.

“Wally (Bella’s dad) came second to Todd Ireland in the masters 100m, and halfway down the track I thought he had it so I was climbing the fence, Bella on my hip ready to celebrate! Everyone has so many memories and stories over the years.

“One of Wally’s best mates is Steve Brimacombe who won back in 1991. I have this gorgeous photo of our three kids at 1, 2, 3 years of age pointing at his plaque in the main street and we sent it to him as he was overseas at the time. To think Bella will have a tree that we can visit every year is really special.

“Stawell already was such a special place for us, now for Bella to have won two sashes by the age of 17 we couldn’t have hoped for anymore.”

On her plans for the rest of the year, Bella will be concentrating on her final year of high school while aiming for World Juniors selection for the 400m.

Ryan will continue his medical studies at Melbourne University, while “running as fast as possible and enjoying the craft.”

“A goal for me at Stawell would be attempting to win the Backmarkers Invitational 120m,” he said. Despard and Rodrigues Chico might have something to say about that.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:07 pm

https://www.stawellgift.com/2024/01/northern-grampians-shire-council-commits-to-elevating-stawell-gift-legacy/

NORTHERN GRAMPIANS SHIRE COUNCIL COMMITS TO ELEVATING STAWELL GIFT LEGACY

Date: 17th January 2024

Northern Grampians Shire Council has reaffirmed its unwavering commitment to the Stawell Gift, signing a significant four-year partnership agreement with Stawell Gift Event Management on Wednesday afternoon that will see the council invest $400,000 in the prestigious Australian athletics carnival over the next four years.

Signed by Northern Grampians Shire Council CEO Brent McAlister and Independent Stawell Gift Event Management Board Member and Chair Finance, Audit and Risk Management Committee Neil Brennan at the Stawell Gift Hall of Fame, the partnership agreement is designed to preserve and invigorate the Stawell Gift and its legacy within the shire, with funding from the council also expected to enhance community engagement while supporting economic growth and an upsurge in tourism within the Northern Grampians region over coming years.

Mayor of Northern Grampians Shire Council, Cr Rob Haswell, expressed his enthusiasm for the renewed partnership following the signing, emphasising the importance of the 147-year-old event to Northern Grampians and the Australian athletics community.

“As a council, we recognise the immense potential for expansion and enrichment, and we are committed to ensuring that the Stawell Gift continues to inspire and grow. As a community we are extremely proud of the whole carnival and have been for generations. It is a major part of the Australian sporting calendar and the council’s dedication mirrors the historical significance of the event as well as the joy and opportunity it offers locals, athletes, and visitors alike. It is a rare and incredible opportunity to witness some of the greatest athletes in the world compete on a grass track up close and personal in regional Victoria,” said Mayor Haswell.

“We have a storied history of supporting and facilitating the event, notably contributing to the maintenance and enhancement of Central Park’s oval and the grass surface for the track events and this partnership is designed to fortify, expand and sustain this important event for many years to come,” added Mayor Haswell.

Speaking on behalf of Stawell Gift Event Management Board, Neil Brennan also highlighted the importance of the shared commitment between both parties.

“Stawell Gift Event Management is delighted to once again partner with the Northern Grampians Shire Council through the signing of a significant four-year partnership agreement, cementing a dynamic partnership between the two organisations. This collaboration underscores our shared commitment to promote tourism and attract residents to the Northern Grampians Region through the delivery of the iconic Stawell Gift.”

The annual event is held at Central Park in Stawell over the Easter long weekend and sees thousands of athletes, supporters and tourists travel to the area, transforming the historic gold mining town of Stawell into an athletics Mecca.

The Powercor Stawell Gift, known as Australia’s richest footrace, is run on a grass track over 120m up a slight gradient with athletes handicapped according to form and ability. The final is traditionally held on Easter Monday.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down