Talking Pros
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stawell 2025
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 3:59 pm by Woodchopper

» Stawell Results
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 3:57 pm by Thatsthestats

» VALE Keith Douglas
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 4:44 pm by Todd Ireland

» 2024 Mens Stawell Gift
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 pm by Foxcatcher

» Stawell Betting
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:50 pm by Z Score

» 2024 Ringwood Womens 400m Gift
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 8:30 pm by Deflash

» Should have gone to Specsavers
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 pm by Z Score

» Tips in other distances
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm by Passionate Pete

» 2024 Stawell Womens Gift
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptyThu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm by SlowJoe

» Stawell provisional handicaps
KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 12:48 pm by Kicker

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL

2 posters

Go down

KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL Empty KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL

Post by Kym 1958 Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:04 pm

KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL

After many weeks of thought and a range of discussions yesterday I determined that I will  nominate myself for President of the South Australian Athletic League.
Athletics was always my core sport. Keith Patching my coach at Brighton gave me the discipline, focus and desire to win that has carried on through my personal and business life.  I owe the sport more than I can ever give back to it.
As an observer of the SAAL it  has concerned me to see the controversies and divisions that have taken place within the league. I acknowledge the work of the committee in addressing this, they are volunteers who put their heart and soul into it.

However, there is much to be done and so I am putting my hand up as an alternative. Its time for me to give back and I believe that the sense of community , the focus and the collegiate leadership I can provide will help move the sport to being the best it can be. Attached is a document I will be distributing that outlines my personal background and qualities that I will bring to the role.

I have created this TOPIC in order to receive feedback on my nomination and advice from all those interested in the SAAL as to key issues that need to be worked through. I respectfully request of you that replies to this topic are not personal in nature and focus on how the sport can improve. See below a text version of my message to members.

Kym

MESSAGE TO MEMBERS

My name is Kym Steer and at the upcoming AGM of the South Australian Athletic league I am seeking your support and vote for the position of President.
I am an enthusiastic supporter of our Sport. I know how it helped me and have been saddened by the ongoing public controversies and divisions that I have witnessed. I acknowledge the work of the committee in trying to address this but believe there is still much to be done in order for the League to be the best it can be. By nominating for President, I believe the SAAL will receive the strong leadership, the focus on outcomes and the organizational refresh that it needs at this crucial time.

BUSINESS EXPERIENCE

• MBA from the Australian Graduate School of Management
• General Manager experience in the Public and Private sectors.
Delivers accredited Leadership and Management training in Australia and overseas.
• Conduct leadership programs for the Adelaide Crows, Glenelg FC, the Eagles FC, and a multitude of other companies.
• Held Commercial Board positions in Finance and Corporate Governance.

I am able to bring this operational, financial commercial and cultural development experience to the role.

SPORTS ADMINISTRATION

• Chairman, and Life member and past President of the Brighton Football Club 2001 - 2022
• Oversaw the development of the new $2m facilities and the move to Division 1.
• Board member of the Premiers Olympic Appeal Committee for 5 years.

I am able to bring to the league years of experience collaborating with volunteers as well as long standing relationships with Local and State Governments.

ATHLETICS

• Athlete from 1974 until my last race in 1995. 120m to 800m. Trained by Keith Patching. SAAL committee in 1976 -78.
• State 400m title holder at Sub Junior and Junior levels and upon turning pro won the 800m Patawalonga handicap the Broken Hill 400m and the Maryborough 70m novice.

I can bring to the Board an understanding of Athletics especially as it relates to handicap running.

PRIORITIES

This role involves working with those who have given their commitment to the league. This means that decisions must be made collaboratively.

Some areas of focus include:
• Engaging with athletes to ensure that everyone is behind the leagues direction and understand its approach.
• Restoring the Bay Sheffield to its position as one of South Australia’s Premier sporting events.
• Reviewing and if necessary, modifying the handicapping system to ensure that runners are rewarded for consistency, participation, and effort
• Consolidating and developing relationships with City of Holdfast Bay and the State Government
• Refreshing and renewal of relationships with the VAL.
• Increasing sponsorship of the league

Kym Steer 12/06/2022

Kym 1958

TheWerewolfOfLoxton dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL Empty Re: KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL

Post by SA Whisperer Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:35 pm

First time I have ever heard someone with concerns about and acknowledge the divisions within the sport.
All the best in your nomination.

SA Whisperer

Floater likes this post

Back to top Go down

KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL Empty Re: KYM STEER Former SAAL Athlete nominates for Presidency of SAAL

Post by Kym 1958 Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm

PRESS RELEASE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN ATHLETIC LEAGUE

1st July 2022 Topic – South Australian Athletic League elects new President 

At its recent Annual General Meeting, South Australian Athletic League members voted in favour of Kym Steer as their new president in what was a closely contested election against President of two years, Colin Rowston. 

Mr Steer, a highly credentialed athlete in his own right, takes on the role at a time where members have expressed dissatisfaction with the move of the Bay Sheffield from Colley Reserve to Glenelg Oval. The League’s current handicapping system has also been subject to ongoing pressures. 

Mr Steer, who conducts his own leadership and management consultancy, has significant experience in the corporate world, holds an MBA and, for the last twenty years has been a key driver of the Brighton Bombers move from the Southern Football League to Division A1 in the Adelaide Footy League. 

Mr Steer says “Unity is critically important in a close sport such as ours, into the foreseeable future our management committee will work in bringing our organisation forward. We will do this by listening to all stakeholders and build trust by providing clarity of communication and consistency in our behaviours.” 

One of the first moves of the newly elected committee was to make the crucial decision to return the Bay Sheffield to Colley Reserve, where the race has been held since 1887. Colley Reserve is the spiritual home of South Australia’s most prestigious and iconic professional running event. In the coming weeks, the League will be announcing exciting developments for the 2022 Bay Sheffield’s as it welcomes athletes “Back to the Bay”. 

The new committee also agreed to undertake a review of the existing handicapping system. Mr Steer said, “Handicap running is the basis of our sport, and all athletes need to understand how they are handicapped and on what basis their handicaps are changed.” The review team comprising experts in their fields will report back to the management committee by late August. 
Following his election, Mr Steer praised outgoing President Colin Rowston for his commitment and dedication to the role. He said that Colin’s contribution over many years was outstanding and that the League should be grateful for his service

Kym 1958

Floater likes this post

TheWerewolfOfLoxton dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down